Thursday, September 26, 2013

[THE LOST WEEK] Stitched Portraits: Winsor McCay

(b. Sep. 26, 1869)

Last year at this time I was losing it. The one-a-day project of stitching portraits had become too much. My wife suggested I take a week long vacation. Wisely, I took her advice. Not only for my sanity - but also to keep my family from hating me.

At the end of the 366 days, I went back to the week that I had lost (Sep. 26 - Oct. 2) and completed the portraits.

Winsor McCay (the first in this series) is one of the most influential illustrators of all time. His Nemo in Slumberland served as a boilerplate for artists like Maurice Sendak, Tomi Ungerer, Walt Disney, Bill Watterson, and Chuck Jones. His works have been recreated, referenced, and repurposed and many of today's graphic novelists and cartoonists consider McCay to be a forefather of the art form.

Winsor (a drawing at his drawing table):


No comments:

Post a Comment